Loew's Capitol Theatre
1328 F Street NW,
10 people favorited this theater
Firms: Rapp & Rapp
Styles: French Renaissance
Previous Names: Fox Theatre, Loew's Fox Theatre
Opened as the Fox Theatre on September 19, 1927 with George O'Brien in “Paid to Love”. The opening was under the personal supervision of Simon Lionel ‘Roxy’ Rothafel, who had opened his own stupendous Roxy Theatre in New York on March 11, 1927. The Fox Theatre is often cited as the most beautiful and grand of Washington’s lost movie palaces. Designed by noted theatre architectural firm Rapp & Rapp, it was the last theatre to be designed by Cornelius Ward Rapp who died of a heart attack on June 28, 1926. It was equipped with a Wurlitzer 3 manual, 15 ranks theatre pipe organ. It was later enlarged to a 4 manual 28 ranks instrument and later another 3 ranks were added. On August 14, 1936 it was renamed Loew’s Capitol Theatre.
It was closed in 1963 and the Wurlitzer organ was removed from the theatre prior to its demolition in 1964, and was installed in a private residence in Thurmont, MD. In 2023 it was being installed in a private residence in southwest United States. All that remains today is its famous archway on the building’s still extant façade, which forms the entrance to the National Press Building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.