Loew's Palace Theater
1306 F Street NW,
5 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Loew's Inc.
Architects: Thomas White Lamb
News About This Theater
- May 5, 2009 — Lost Washington: Loew's Palace Theater
Opened on November 4, 1918, the Loew’s Palace Theater was Washington’s first movie palace and the site of numerous early premieres.
In addition to motion pictures, stage shows began in 1926 and continued until 1932. The Loew’s Palace Theater was also reportedly the first DC movie house with air conditioning which was installed in 1926.
As the theater began to decline, Loew’s spent $225,000 to renovate the theater in 1964 which changed the paint, walls, and carpeting at which time orchestra and balcony wall boxes were also removed.
In 1968, a robbery occurred in which two people were shot and wounded and a year later Loew’s put the old movie palace up for sale.
The Loew’s Palace was finally closed for good in 1978, and was torn down in late-1979.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.