Bing Crosby Theater
901 W. Sprague Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
Bing Crosby Theater (Official)
Architects: Edwin Walker Houghton
Previous Names: Clemmer Theatre, Audian Theatre, State Theatre, Metropolitan Performing Arts Center
News About This Theater
Opened February 22, 1915 as a movie theatre called the Clemmer Theatre. The opening movie was Mary Pickford in “Mistress Nell”. Designed in a restrained Neo-Classical style by noted theater architect Edwin W. Houghton, the Clemmer Theatre originally sat 800 patrons and boasted a 4 manual, 32 rank Kimball organ which was opened by organist W.H. Donley, one of the most impressive instruments in the city. Among the Clemmer’s first musicians to helm the organ was Jessie Crawford, eventually recognized as one of the great silent film organists of all time. By 1929 the Clemmer Theatre was operated by the Universal Pictures chain and its name was changed to Audian Theatre.
In 1988, the movie house underwent a substantial restoration and the building eventually became known as the Metropolitan Performing Arts Center, or “Met”, for short. In 2006, the theatre was renamed Bing Crosby Theater.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.