Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre Centre
189 Yonge Street,
17 people favorited this theater
Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre Centre (Official)
Previously operated by: Loew's Inc.
Architects: Thomas White Lamb
Functions: Performing Arts
Previous Names: Loew's Yonge Street Theatre, Elgin Theatre, Loew's Winter Garden Theatre
News About This Theater
- Feb 11, 2004 — Today's Newsreel
The Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre Centre is a fully-restored double decker theatre, which is a combination of two previously separated theatres: the 2,149-seat Elgin Theatre and the 1,410-seat Winter Garden Theatre.
The Elgin Theatre opened on December 15, 1913 as Loew’s Yong Street Theatre and was used for vaudeville and movies. The interior decoration in a Beaux Arts/French Renaissance style were by theatre interior decorator Harold Rambusch. In 1918 it was equipped with a Canadian manufactured Warren 2 manual 10 ranks organ. On May 4, in the basement under the stage. 1928 the organ was destroyed by a fire which had started in an overheated blower. It was replaced by a Wurlitzer 3 manual 13 ranks organ in June 1928. The theatre was remodeled in April 1929 for sound movies.
The Winter Garden Theater opened on February 16, 1914 with vaudeville and movies. In 1919 it was equipped with a Canadian manufactured Warren 3 manual 12 ranks theatre pipe organ which was opened by organist Horace Lapp. It was closed on June 16, 1928 and was mothballed.
In 1958 the Wurlitzer organ in the Elgin Theatre was removed from the building to a barn in Picton, ON. The theatres were restored and reopened on December 15, 1989, 76 years to the day of their original opening on December 15, 1913. One theatre has 1,563 seats, while the other has 981.
Guided tours are held on Monday evenings for details: 416-314-2874
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.