Lyric Theatre
320 5th Street,
Lacon,
IL
61540
320 5th Street,
Lacon,
IL
61540
No one has favorited this theater yet
This theatre was opened on August 22, 1914 by B.F. Shafer, a local businessman. It was located in one of the storefronts of the newly completed Pythian Hall. Shafer had previously run an airdome one block west, which he closed to operate this theatre.
A rather small theatre for a town of roughly 1,500 people, this operated until February 27, 1940, when Shafer remodeled an opera house on S. Broad Street into a larger venue.
The building is well preserved, and both storefronts are occupied (by a coffee house and physical therapist). The theater was located in the space occupied by the physical therapist.
Contributed by
Seth Gaines
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 2 comments)
The Lyric Theatre opened in the Knights of Pythias' Pythian Hall building on August 22, 1914 by F.A. Barr with motion pictures. It converted to sound in 1930 to remain commercially viable. The final screening took place on February 27, 1940 as a merchant’s screening.
The UI site has the 1926 map. The theater was on the left. It seems the original address was 315, and odds and evens switched sides at some point.