St. Peter's Square,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Myles Byrne (Hereford) Ltd.
Architects: Frank Matcham
Firms: Frank Matcham & Company
Previous Names: Theatre Royal & Opera House
Located in the centre of Stockport, Cheshire. The Theatre Royal was designed by theatre architect Frank Matcham in 1888. On 29th June 1896, it was screening a programme of Lumiere’s Cinematograph. In November 1901 it presented the Phono-Bioscope, an early talking picture apparatus. That Theatre Royal was demolished in 1904.
The ‘new’ Theatre Royal & Opera House was again designed by noted theatre architect Frank Matcham, and opened on 5th September 1905. It was built for William John Revill who had operated the earlier Theatre Royal. In December 1916, it presented D.W. Griffith’s “Birth of a Nation”.
Later known as the Theatre Royal, it operated as a variety theatre as well as presenting musicals, plays and pantomimes, and remained in the Revill family ownership for its entire life, last leased by the Myles Byrne cinema chain. The Theatre Royal was badly damaged by a fire in 1960. It was subsequently demolished, leaving only the façade standing. By 1968, the façade was also demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.