2 people favorited this theater
Firms: Verity and Beverley
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: ABC
Located on the corner of Duke Street and Piccadilly. Planned by the Union Cinemas chain, they had been taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) in October 1937, and the Ritz Cinema was completed and opened by ABC on 3rd January 1938.
The original seating capacity provided for 1,627 seats in the stalls and 716 seats in the circle. It was equipped with a Wurlitzer 3Manual/8Ranks organ, which had a curved console, opened by organist Wilfred Southworth. There was a large stage and dressing rooms.
It was renamed ABC in 1961, and in November 1970, it was closed for a month to convert the circle into a ‘Luxury Lounge’ seating area and the seats in the stalls were removed. This caused problems with the sound, so the stalls seats were reinstated. The ABC was taken over by an independent operator on 2nd April 1978, and it reverted back to the Ritz name. The Ritz Cinema was closed in December 1982, and was demolished around 1986. Since then the site has been used as a car park.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.