Odeon 2 Shepherd's Bush
56a Shepherd's Bush Green,
2 people favorited this theater
Architects: John Stanley Beard
Firms: Gilbert & Constanduros
Previous Names: Pyke's Cinematograph Theatre, New Palladium Cinema, Palladium Cinema, Essoldo, Classic
Located in the west London inner city district of Shepherd’s Bush on the west side of Shephard’s Bush Green and sandwiched between the Shepherd’s Bush Empire Theatre(1903) and the Pavilion/Gaumont/Odeon(1923). Designed by architectural firm Gilbert & Costanduros, the Shepherd’s Bush Cinematograph Theatre opened 3rd March 1910. This was the 6th addition to the Pyke Circuit of cinemas which Montagu Pyke had started in March 1909 and which was an instant success fuelling the rapid expansion. A further 10 cinemas were built, the final one in Charing Cross Road opening in August 1911. Along the side of the building (on the Shepherd’s Bush Empire Theatre side) was a long stone panel which had ‘Cinematograph Theatre - Continuous Performance - Seats 1/- 6d 3d’.
It was partially rebuilt to the plans of architect John Stanley Beard and reopened in November 1923 as the New Palladium Cinema, the New was dropped in 1946 and it was renamed Essoldo in 1955. It closed for modernisation in 1968 which gutted the auditorium, but a fire just before reopening delayed the event. It now seated 500, down from its original capacity of 763. Further name changes occurred; Classic from 1972 and finally Odeon 2 from 1973 to its closure in October 1981.
After a period of dereliction, the interior was gutted and it was converted into a large pub with an Australian theme know as ‘Walkabout’, which closed on 6th October 2013. The building was then used as a construction site office for building workers employed on the conversion of the adjacent former Pavilion/Odeon into a hotel. The Odeon 2 Shepherds Bush was demolished in May 2019, with only the façade left standing and the Palladium name returned, which has been used as an entrance to a block of flats that have been built on the site. Sadly, the fate of the long stone panel on the side of the building is unknown. It was hoped that this rare example of a piece of cinema history would be preserved.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.