29 E. State Street,
25 people favorited this theater
CAPA Columbus -- Ohio Theatre (Official)
Architects: Thomas White Lamb
Styles: Spanish Baroque
Previous Names: Loew's and United Artists' Ohio Theatre, Loew's Ohio Theatre
News About This Theater
- May 6, 2013 — Summer movies at the Ohio Theatre
- May 5, 2012 — 2012 CAPA Summer Movie Series
- Mar 24, 2011 — Drexel Theatre acquired by not-for-profit group; will be managed by CAPA
- Jun 25, 2008 — Thomas Lamb treasure hosts summer film series
Built by Loew’s Inc. and United Artists Theater Circuit Inc. and located adjacent to the State Theatre. The Loew’s and United Artists' Ohio Theatre opened on March 17, 1928 with Greta Garbo in “Divine Woman” plus a stage show featuring John Murray Anderson’s production of “Milady’s Fans” and six acts of vaudeville. Designed by noted architect Thomas W. Lamb, it had a seating capacity for 3,079. It was equipped with a Robert Morton 4 manual/20 ranks theatre pipe organ which was opened by organist Henry B. Murtaugh from the Capitol Theatre, New York. The first ‘talkie’ was in April 1929 with John Barrymore in “The Tempest”. The Loew’s Ohio Theatre presented stage shows as well as movies until 1934 when stage shows ceased and it went over to full time movie theatre. Occasional stage shows were programmed for ‘one night only’ and on March 3, 1938 a young Judy Garland made an appearance. The Robert Morton organ was mainly unused from 1942. On August 1, 1945 the world premiere of “Captain Eddie” starring Fred MacMurray was held at the Ohio Theatre.
In 1966 the American Theatre Organ Society refurbished the organ and regular concerts were begun. The Ohio Theatre was sold and closed on February 24, 1969, the final movie was Michael Caine in “Play Dirty”. A final concert on the organ was held on February 16, 1969 when former house organist Roger Garrett played to a full house.
On October 2, 1970 the Ohio Theatre reopened as the home to the Columbus Symphony Orchestra.
A fundraising scheme was headed by Mary Bishop, with the aim of renovating/restoring the building. It was completely restored to its original condition, reopening in 1984.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.