88 Albert Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Brennan's Cinemas Ltd.
Firms: Drury & Gomersall
Styles: Art Deco
Located in Widnes, Lancashire. Originally on this site was a skating rink named the Albert Hall, which became a cinema and became the Bozzadrome Cinema on 29th November 1915 with “War Is Hell”. It was demolished in 1934. (it has its own page on Cinema Treasures).
The 1,100-seat Regal Cinema was designed by architectural firm Drury & Gomersall. It was opened by Arthur Bell in May 1935 with Jeanette MacDonald in “The Merry Widow”. Later operated by the Brennan’s Cinemas chain, it had a 32 feet wide proscenium.
It had closed by the end of the 1970’s. It went into retail use, and there was talk of it becoming a pub in the J.D. Wetherspoon chain, but the former Premier Picture House across the road was converted in 2001, instead of the Regal Cinema. The Regal Cinema has since been demolished and the land is now used as a car park.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.