88 Albert Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Albert Hall
Located in Widnes, Lancashire. The Albert Hall was built and opened in 1909 as Martin’s Skating Rink. It was owned by Charles Edward Martin. It was later known as the Albert Hall Rink and from September 1910 began screening films. It operated as a skating rink during the daytime and a cinema in the evening. It was successful and by 1912 following a revamp the Albert Hall converted into a full time cinema with 850-seats. It was refurbished again in 1915 and as Mr. Martin’s nickname was ‘Bozzo’ it was renamed the Bozzadrome Cinema from 29th November 1915.
In the mid-1920’s it was taken over by new operators and in 1930 it was taken over by Arthur Bell. It was equipped with a British Talking Pictures (BTP) sound system. The proscenium was 25ft wide, the stage 8ft deep and there were two dressing rooms. Arthur Bell closed the Bozzadrome Cinema in 1934 and he built the Regal Cinema on the site which opened in 1935. (it has its own page on Cinema Treasures).
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.