700 Congress Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Interstate Theatres Inc. & Texas Consolidated Theaters Inc., Publix, Trans-Texas Theatres
Firms: Walsh & Giesecke
Functions: Art Gallery
Previous Names: Lyric Theatre, Hegman's Queen Theatre
Opened in 1916 as the Lyric Theatre it was later renamed Queen Theatre. In 1920 it was demolished and a ‘new’ Queen Theater was built, which was operated by Jay J. Hegman from its opening on March 2, 1921 with Anita Stewart in “Marriet and the Piper”. Designed by architectural firm Walsh & Giesecke, seating was provided for 560 in the orchestra and 340 in the balcony. It was equipped with a Robert Morton pipe organ. It was operated by Publix. In 1933 it was sold to Interstate Theatres chain. In the 1950’s it was sold to the Trans-Texas Theatres chain. In recent years the building became home to the Arthouse at the Jones Center. By 2015 it had been renamed The Contemporary.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.