6 Castle Gates,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Granada Theatres Ltd.
Architects: Cecil Aubrey Masey
Functions: Bingo Hall
Styles: French Renaissance
Built and operated by Shrewsbury Empires Ltd. (a company within the Granada Theatres Ltd. chain), the Granada Theatre opened on 14th November 1934 with Jack Hulbert in "The Camels Are Coming".
The Granada Theatre has a striking façade with four central round columns and two side piers supporting a plinth over the entrance. Inside the decoration is in a French Renaissance style which was carried out by interior designer Theodore Komisarjevsky. Seating was provided in stalls and circle levels and stage facilities were included, but not in a full height stage house. There was also a café/restaurant located on the first floor of the foyer for the convenience of patrons and the general public. This was the only purpose built Granada theatre in the circuit that was not equipped with an organ.
A mixed programme of stage shows and films carried on through the years until 1972 when it was announced there would be no more stage shows. Soon afterwards Granada Theatres Ltd. applied for a gaming licence for the building and it closed as a cinema on 31st March 1973 with Charles Bronson in "The Valachi Papers" and "Anatomy of a Pin-Up".
It re-opened as a Granada Bingo Club from 17th April 1973. From May 1991 it has continued as a Gala Bingo Club. In June 2018 it was re-named Buzz Bingo Club.
On 17th November 1995, the Granada Theatre was designated a Grade II Listed building by English Heritage.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.