Wyle Cop and St. Juian's Friars,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Granada Theatres Ltd.
Styles: Tudor Revival
Previous Names: King's Hall, Kings Cinema
In Shrewsbury, at the junction of Wyle Cop and St. Julian’s Friars, the King’s Hall opened on 12th March 1914, with 750 seats. Presumably it closed at some stage, because it is recorded as “reopening” on 1st September 1930, as a cinema called Kings Cinema.
Soon after, it was taken over by Shrewsbury Empires in association with Bernstein Theatres, and listed as having 805 seats. It was soon merged into Bernstein’s Granada Theatres chain.
It was renamed Century Cinema from 9th January 1956, but closed on 11th June 1960.
Century Bingo operated from 14th June 1961, initially only two evenings a week. Later full-time bingo was introduced. This closed on 16th April 1973.
By the late-1990’s the stalls area was in retail use, while a snooker club occupied the circle area.
More recently the building has been demolished and replaced with an apartment block, appropriately called Century House.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.