2906 Hennepin Avenue,
8 people favorited this theater
Architects: Jack J. Liebenberg
Firms: Liebenberg and Kaplan
Functions: Live Theatre
Styles: Streamline Moderne
Previous Names: Lagoon Theatre
News About This Theater
Opened as the Lagoon Theatre on June 3, 1916. By 1926 it was operated by the Finkelstein & Ruben chain. In 1927 it was equipped with a Marr & Colton 2 manual 7 ranks organ. It was remodeled and renamed the Uptown Theatre on April 25, 1929 following a takeover by Publix.
Following a fire in 1939, it was completely rebuilt by the firm of Liebenberg & Kaplan. The seating capacity was for 900 at its reopening on November 16, 1939.
It screened first run art and foreign films. Midnight screenings of cult films were also popular.
This classic movie house has retained all of its stylistic charm and its restored murals. Following conversion to digital on September 14, 2012, it now has a seating capacity for 350.
Last operated by Landmark Theatres, it was permanently closed in 2021. It was announced in March 2023 that there were plans to reopen as an entertainment venue on June 10, 2023.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.