528 Hennepin Avenue,
8 people favorited this theater
Cowles Center (Official)
Firms: Liebenberg and Kaplan
Functions: Performing Arts
Previous Names: Sam S. Shubert Theatre, Alvin Theatre, Academy Theatre
News About This Theater
- Mar 17, 2013 — “South Pacific” 55th Anniversary – The Roadshow Engagements
- Dec 9, 2012 — Happy 50th, “Lawrence of Arabia”
- Nov 18, 2009 — Happy 50th, "Ben-Hur"
- Oct 30, 2009 — Happy 50th, "Sleeping Beauty"
The Academy Theatre opened inside the old and remodelled Sam S. Shubert Theatre which was so completely refurbished it requires its own entry in the Cinema Treasures listings.
The S. S. Shubert Theatre originally opened on August 28, 1910 seating around 1,600 and in the mid-1930’s, it was renamed the Alvin Theatre and presented films, live theatre and finally strip shows.
It was remodeled by Ted Mann in 1957, to the plans of architectural firm Liebenberg & Kaplan, and reborn as the Academy Theatre – a popular 70mm roadshow house. It opened with “Around the World in 80 Days” in Todd-AO on July 12, 1957. At that time, it had about 800 seats and remained one of the main roadshow houses in the Twin Cities until that form of distribution/exhibition fell out of favor.
It closed in 1983 and remained vacant until 1999. The whole theatre, minus the stage house, was literally moved a block and half away from its 22 N. 7th Street location to make room for a major entertainment complex.
The Academy Theatre, now relocated at 528 Hennepin Avenue, awaited a restoration as a venue for dance and music presentations. The group heading its resurrection, Artspace raised money to restore the theatre. It reopened on September 9, 2011 as the Goodale Theatre, part of the Cowles Center for Dance and the Performing Arts.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.