Farris Theatre

301 W. Main Street,
Richmond, MO 64085

Unfavorite 3 people favorited this theater

Related Websites

The Farris Theatre (Official)

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Dickinson Theatres

Architects: Carl Boller, Robert O. Boller

Firms: Boller Brothers

Functions: Concerts, Live Performances, Movies

Previous Names: Dougherty Auditorium, Dougherty Theatre

Phone Numbers: Box Office: 816.776.6684

Nearby Theaters

Farris Theatre, Richmond MO

The Farris Theatre opened on June 20, 1901 as the Dougherty Auditorium. This theatre is still open today as a movie theatre and venue for concerts and live performances. The Farris Theatre website has some long and detailed pages of history on this theatre.

Contributed by Lost Memory

Recent comments (view all 6 comments)

Chris1982 on September 23, 2014 at 12:41 am

The Farris Theatre has made the conversion to digital projection with 3D capabilities. In 1946 the Farris was remodeled by the Boller Brothers of Kansas City, MO.

DavidZornig on March 20, 2017 at 10:06 pm

2017 photo added, credit Vicki Schaefer‎.

SethG on March 18, 2019 at 7:39 pm

The theater is still open, but the website has a lot of broken pages. The 1909 Sanborn calls it Daugherty’s Auditorium, and it’s unclear whether it was yet showing movies.

SethG on March 18, 2019 at 8:47 pm

The NRHP listing has some interesting pictures of the theater in the late ‘70s and early '80s. The only authentic historical detail on the exterior of the theater is the large central window, and the two round ones. The rest is a reproduction. The photos can be seen on the last pages of this document: https://dnr.mo.gov/shpo/nps-nr/82003158.pdf

SethG on March 19, 2019 at 11:04 am

Boller Brothers were only responsible for the 1930s and 1940s remodels, which have been effectively destroyed by ‘restoration’. The original architects were Shepard and Farrar. The Boller modifications left the auditorium untouched, although they did remove a large fly tower, and the lobby was changed, although I suspect this again has been put back similar to its 1901 appearance.

SethG on March 19, 2019 at 11:10 am

F.G. Weary Jr. began leasing the theater from J.L. Farris (a local lawyer) in 1914, and bought it outright in 1921. The theater was first modernized in 1930 when the theater began showing talkies. In 1931 it was leased out to Dickenson Theaters, Inc., although the Weary family managed the theater all the way up to at least 1982. This information from the NRHP listing.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.