610 2nd Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Webster Theater (Official)
Architects: J.R. White
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Orpheum Theater, Granada Theater
News About This Theater
- Sep 30, 2014 — Webster leads by example
The original Orpheum Theater opened on November 29, 1909. It operated as a vaudeville theater until 1916 when the Orpheum Theater moved to this new building right next door named the E. H. Martin Building, and began showing silent movies. In the 1920’s the ‘new’ Orpheum Theater was remodeled and renamed the Granada Theater. The main floor seated 600 and the balcony held 150 patrons.
In the 1930’s the Granada Theater was renamed the Webster Theater. By 1950 it was operated by Pioneer Theater Corp. Around 1988 Bob Fridley of Fridley Theatres purchased the Webster Theater. The Webster Theater was operated by Fridley Theatres until the mid-2000’s, when it was taken over by the BigTime Cinema chain.
It re-opened as a non-profit community theatre on September 19, 2014. The Art Deco style marquee has been fully restored. Equipped with digital projection and sound, movies are screened on the largest (non-Omnimax) screen in Iowa. In the Art Deco style lobby, uniformed staff greet patrons, ticket prices are family friendly.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.