The present manager (2014) Binny Amin is interested in the building’s history and appealed for old photos and reminiscences. The Whitstable Times pictured him sitting in the recognisably cinematic stock room.
Interior shows main screen with Balcony in July, 2006. Threatened with mothballing in 2014 until funding for digital equipment secured. First showed films in the 19th century!
The founder of Chatteris Amusements Co was Robert William Chambers who died in 1941. He was succeeded by Arthur Jon Towley. Post war the seating was cut to 398nto evade the higher rate of Entertainment for 400 seats plus. After closure entrance to the pool was to the side and a new glazed building added to the front.
Rivals Nightclub closed in January 2014 and the staff were dismissed without being given a reason. FS Leisure of Herne Bay have spoken unspecifically about redeveloping the site.
The cinema’s existence discovered by the chance find of a postcard stamped with the town’s name in the German version. A very symmetrical style which appears to have been designed in tandem with surrounding flats.
The exterior was taken in c 1970
The exterior was taken in c.2013 and shows a surviving bay window.
The interior taken as the Kings Bingo Hall dates from May, 1998
The interior not as sharp as the pub view but shows the cinema in April, 1989
The side of Woolworths is seen on the left in this photo taken in June, 1985 two years before demolition
The present manager (2014) Binny Amin is interested in the building’s history and appealed for old photos and reminiscences. The Whitstable Times pictured him sitting in the recognisably cinematic stock room.
Interior shows the proscenium arch as seen in 2003
Interior shows a contrasting early ceiling with a thirties auditorium.
Interior shows the organ (now silent, 2014) being played in May, 1998.
Interior shows main screen with Balcony in July, 2006. Threatened with mothballing in 2014 until funding for digital equipment secured. First showed films in the 19th century!
Interior shows Screen 1 of Flicks in 1998. Screen 2 was similar
Interior showing the organ was taken before the Regal was twinned. Barleycorn décor above old screen level retained in screen 1
One photo shows the cinema in mid demolition around 2012
The founder of Chatteris Amusements Co was Robert William Chambers who died in 1941. He was succeeded by Arthur Jon Towley. Post war the seating was cut to 398nto evade the higher rate of Entertainment for 400 seats plus. After closure entrance to the pool was to the side and a new glazed building added to the front.
Coloured interiors taken from postcards sold to CTA members who were kindly permitted to look inside by the Jehovahs Witnesses.
When a Church the Catholics called it St Odeons. They relocated to a new church in 1988.
Repainting photo taken late 2013
One photo shows screen in place for the occasional classic film show
Rivals Nightclub closed in January 2014 and the staff were dismissed without being given a reason. FS Leisure of Herne Bay have spoken unspecifically about redeveloping the site.
The rear view shows an equally plain exterior, with a Salvation Army van loading secondhand goods in Feb 1988
Coloured photos taken by the Jehovahs Witnesses as a Kingdom Hall
The cinema finally closed in 1959 and was managed by Middlesex Cinemas. One source says its final name was the Paris.
Photograph taken in June, 1984
The cinema’s existence discovered by the chance find of a postcard stamped with the town’s name in the German version. A very symmetrical style which appears to have been designed in tandem with surrounding flats.
The Playhouse was the first purpose built cinema in Cambridge