Christchurch Street West,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Memorial Theatre (Official)
Architects: Percival Rigg
Previous Names: Memorial Hall, Grand Cinema
Built in 1922 as the Memorial Hall, the original seating capacity was for 800 in stalls and circle levels. It was designed by local architect Percival Rigg of Cork Street, Frome.
In 1931, additions/alterations were made to the facade and it became the Grand Cinema. Due to a termination of the lease, the Grand Cinema closed on 21st September 1974 with Tony Curtis in "The Great Race". It was re-opened on 10th February 1975 with "The Three Musketeers". Raymond Frankin, the operator of the newly opened Westway Cinema, had taken on a 15-years lease and spent 13,000 GB Pounds on a refurbishment. In August 1984, Mr Franklin gave up the lease in a dispute with the council, the building’s owners, and he stripped out all the fixtures and fittings.
The building then stood empty and unused until early-1999, when it re-opened as the Memorial Theatre, after a major renovation. Further renovations were carried out in 2001.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.