1183 Pershore Road,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Associated British Cinemas Ltd.
Architects: Harold Seymour Scott
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Stirchley Pavilion Cinema, ABC Cine-Bowl Stirchley
Located in the Stirchley district to the south of Birmingham. Opened as the Pavilion Cinema on 28th November 1931. Large auditorium had seating in stalls and and circle levels. In the early years, children had to queue outside on a Saturday morning in what was called the “tupenny crush”. There was a large queueing area in the basement beneath the main foyer. It was equipped with a Christie 3 manual 9 ranks organ.
It was taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) in 1934. The café was closed in 1950. When CinemaScope was installed in the mid-1950’s the Christie organ was removed from the building. The building was changed into a combined cinema and bowling alley in 1962, when a bowling alley was built on stilts beside the cinema building.
The cinema was closed on 28th December 1968, and was converted into an ABC Bingo Club in January 1969. The café in the circle foyer area was re-opened. The ABC Bingo Club operated until July 1969 when it was taken over by the Star Cinema chain and re-named Star Bingo Club which was taken over in 1982 by EMI and finally closed in 1989 when it was operated by First Leisure Group. The building stood vacant until the former Pavilion Cinema was demolished in 2004. The site is a vacant lot in 2021.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.