117 Pleasant Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: W. Chester Browne
Firms: W. Chester Browne Associates
Previous Names: Warwick Theatre
- Warwick Cinema & Events The...
- Paramount Theater
- Federal Theatre
- Kozy Moving Picture House
News About This Theater
- Jul 16, 2012 — New small theater may be built on the site of demolished Warwick theater
- Apr 18, 2011 — Resident issues $25,000 challenge grant to encourage new Warwick Theater
- Feb 3, 2011 — The Warwick Theatre may rise again
- Jan 31, 2011 — Warwick Cinema's days probably numbered, but new theater might take its place
The Warwick Theatre opened in 1919 and was remodeled in 1949 to the plans of architect Chester Browne. This family-owned neighborhood second-run theater operated for over eight decades before suddenly and unexpectedly closing its doors in November, 1999. Its owner, Thomas McNulty, found himself increasingly unable to compete with large chains and multiplexes.
The Warwick Theatre’s last few days of operation were devoted to the Boston Jewish Film Festival. It was turned into a gymnastics center for the local YMCA. It was demolished in 2011.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.