Ed Mirvish Theatre
244 Victoria Street,
9 people favorited this theater
Mirvish Theatres (Official)
Architects: Thomas White Lamb
Previous Names: Pantages Theatre, Imperial Theatre, Imperial Six, Pantages Cinema, Canon Theatre
News About This Theater
- Jul 15, 2010 — Extreme Usher: The Imperial Six
- Jul 15, 2008 — Remembering "Die Hard" -- A 20th Anniversary Tribute
- Jul 15, 2008 — Remembering "Die Hard"
The Pantages Theatre was Canada’s largest theatre when it opened in 1920. It was equipped with a 26 ranks Warren theatre pipe organ. This 3,626 seat palace remained a single screen theatre in the Famous Players chain until 15th March 1930. On July 15, 1930 it was re-named Imperial Theatre.
In June 1973 it was divided into six auditoriums and renamed the Imperial Six. Cinema 1 was between the front of the former balcony and the screen. Cinema 2 was the former balcony seating. Cinemas 3 & 4 were in the former backstage. Cinemas 5 & 6 were in the orchestra seating.
The Imperial Six was taken over Cineplex Odeon in May 1986 and was partially renovated, re-opening as the Pantages Cinema in December 1987. This closed in August 1988 and a full restoration project to return the building to a single auditorium was completed fully completed in September 1989.
The theatre was re-named Pantages Theatre again and was home to the stage musical “The Phantom of the Opera” for ten years. Now used mostly for Broadway touring companies, the theatre was renamed the Canon Theatre in September of 2001 and in 2011 was renamed Ed Mirvish Theatre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.