No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Twin City Theatre, Cinema 3
The first Mattoon Theatre was built in 1896 at Prairie Avenue and N. 20th Street (and has its own page on Cinema Treasures).
In 1921, a new Mattoon Theatre was built at 1421 Broadway by George Kizer. It showed movies primarily, though also hosted live entertainment as well for some years. In the 1930’s, it, along with the Clarke and Time Theaters, Mattoon’s other main movie houses, became part of the Frisina Amusements chain.
In its later years, the Mattoon Theater was called the Twin City Theater from May 12, 1978, and after being triplexed on June 30, 1980 and renamed the Cinema 3. It was part of the Kerasotes chain for many years. The theater was shuttered in 1996, no doubt in large part due to Kerasotes' opening of the new Showplace 8 in Mattoon.
The Mattoon Theater was demolished in the late-1990’s.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.