134 Church Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Star Cinemas
Architects: George Edward Tonge
Styles: Art Deco
The Ritz Cinema had 1,650 seats on a stadium plan (with stepped seating at the rear rather than an overhanging circle). It opened on 23rd March 1937 with George Formby in “"Keep Fit”. It had a 40 foot wide screen and a shallow stage.
It was sold to Leeds based Star Cinemas chain in 1968 who made some improvements but the Ritz Cinema was by now hopelessly too large for the town and it closed to be converted to bingo in the front stalls area and a club in the former rear section.
The screen end of the building seems to have been demolished (2004) with the rear wall now seemingly following the curve of the balcony. The remainder of the building survived as a nightclub and dining rooms. By November 2022 it was a restaurant, a barbers and a jiu jitsu school.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.