West End Theatre
4819 Delmar Boulevard,
1 person favorited this theater
Architects: Charles Green
Previous Names: Colonial Theatre, Majestic Theatre, Monarch Theatre, West End Lyric Theatre, West End Art Theatre, Midtown Theatre, Midtown Art Theatre, Paris Art Theatre, Expo Art Theatre, Studio Cinema, Studio World, Comet West End Theatre
The Colonial Theatre was opened in 1910 with 990 seats. It was operated by the Arthur Chain (Franchon & Marco) in 1927 and seated 773. It was a neighborhood house located just east of Kings Highway in a small shopping center about 10 blocks east of the more opulant Pageant Theatre. The West End Theatre was a two story theatre with a small balcony. Nothing impressive about this popular neighborhood house.
It thrived until 1956 and the Arthur chain sold it to a private individual who renamed it the West End Art Theatre. It started playing adult fare and the balcony was made into a second screen. Operating under various names, the theatre lasted until 1964 when a storm caused the back part of the roof to collapse. The theatre was demolished in August 1985 after the city condemned the building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.