4218 Lindell Boulevard,
2 people favorited this theater
Styles: Streamline Moderne
Previous Names: Trans-Lux Cinerama
News About This Theater
- Mar 31, 2013 — "2001: A Space Odyssey" 45th Anniversary – The Cinerama Engagements
- Aug 14, 2009 — Remembering Cinerama (Part 38: St. Louis)
The Martin Cinerama, the first theatre built in St. Louis since the Fox Theatre in 1928, opened January 10, 1963 with Laurence Harvey in “The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm” as part of a chain of Martin Theatres of Georgia.
It claimed to have the world’s largest indoor screen, which measured 100 feet on a curve. The two story building attempted to be a “modern movie palace”. The entire theatre was dressed in all burnt orange with gold trim. It was carpeted wall to wall, with the seats even set on carpet.
Opened as a Cinerama format theatre, with the original three projector equipment and later 70mm. It was an established road show house until its last few years of operation.
The theatre seated 1,120 total between the two floors. Trans Lux Theatres took over operation of the theatre in 1968 and the last 3-strip Cinerama film to be screened was a re-issue of “The Is Cinerama” in June 1973. It was still capable of screening 70mm films and was closed in 1988. It was demolished in 1997.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.