Hoyts Preston Drive-In

Plenty Road and Gremel Road,
Melbourne, VIC 3073

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Hoyts Theatres

Architects: Harold Bartlett

Firms: A.C. Leith, Bartlett & Partners

Previous Names: Hoyts Skyline Drive-In, Village Drive-In

Nearby Theaters

Hoyts Preston Drive-In

Located in the Reservoir district to the north of Preston, north of Melbourne, Vic. The Skyline Drive-In was opened on 22nd December 1954 before an invited audience and on 23rd December 1954 it had a Gala Opening screening James Stewart in “Broken Arrow”. It was operated by Hoyts. It had a capacity for 740 cars and was designed by architectural firm A.C. Leith, Bartlett & Partners of St. Kilda Road. The screen was 73ft wide and 65ft tall. It was the second drive-in to open in Melbourne following the Burwood Skyline Drive-In.

Still named Skyline Drive-In in 1968, by 1982 it had been renamed Preston Drive-In. It was closed in 1984 with the merger of Hoyts & Village Theatres who closed six older drive-in’s on the same night.

It has been demolished and Stockland Latrobe Village (a retirement village) has been built on the site.

Contributed by Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

davidcoppock on September 30, 2016 at 11:37 pm

The Preston Drive-in opened in 1954(in a former quarry), and closed in(1984 or early 1987?). The projectors were taken to a Hoyts Theatrette(name unknown?) in Sydney(they are still there). The drive-in has been demolished(date unknown?). The site is now a retirement village(Stockland Labtrobe Village). Preston Drive-in is in the Melbourne suburb of Reservoir.

davidcoppock on June 8, 2018 at 11:13 am

Also called Village Drive-in. The screen went to Frankston Starlite Drive-in afer the Village drive-in closed.

davidcoppock on August 8, 2018 at 12:40 am

Opened on 21/12/1954. Screen was 73 feet by 65 feet. Closed on the same night, when severel Hoyts drive-in’s closed.

kennerado on August 13, 2021 at 9:44 pm

With all due respect to Ken Roe, the actual public opening date was Thursday 23rd December 1954. There was an invite only event the night before on the 22nd. I’ve uploaded some newspaper items that confirm this.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.