909 High Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Village Cinemas
Previous Names: Palais Theatre, Reservoir Plaza Theatre, Cinema North
Located in the north Melbourne district of Reservoir/Preston. In March 1928 former auction rooms began screening films two days a week. In early-1933 it was converted into a dance hall named Palais de Dance, which was closed in August 1935 by the Health Department. The reason being it was a very basic building with an unlined tin roof and outside toilets. It was re-opened as the Palais Theatre following renovations and new indoor toilet facilities in June 1936 by the Victoria Theatres Property Co. Ltd. with fewer seats for 500. In July 1943 it was re-named Reservoir Plaza Theatre. It was operated by L.E. Rossiter & R.E.R. Emslie.
In 1955 a new 900-seat auditorium was built next door by Consolidated Theatres. In December 1968 it was taken over by City Cinemas (later to become Village Cinemas) and it was re-named Cinema North. In 1981 a second screen with 241 seats was built at the rear of the main screen. The new screen was named Oriental and the main screen, now with 723-seats was named Merion and the twin was re-named Village Reservoir.
In 1987 a new 8-screen multiplex opened in the nearby Northlands shopping centre and this affected business at Village Reservoir and the large Merion screen was closed and was demolished. The small Oriental screen carried on untit it too was closed in 1993 and was demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.