425 Third Street,
6 people favorited this theater
Crump Theatre (Official)
Architects: Alden Meranda
Functions: Live Performances
Styles: Streamline Moderne
Previous Names: Crump's Opera House
In a building dating to 1874, John Crump opened his Opera House on October 30, 1889. In 1914, the first movies were shown, and not long afterwards, the Opera House was renamed the Crump Theatre.
In 1934, seating was increased when the orchestra pit was removed, and the same year, the Crump Theatre was nearly renamed the ‘Ritz’.
The Crump Theatre underwent a thorough renovation in 1941, to the plans of architect Alden Meranda. It was redesigned in Art Moderne style, including its dramatic facade, with its two-story tall vertical marquee, illuminated by chaser lights.
The Crump Theatre remained popular for decades, until declining ticket sales forced the theater to close in 1987. That year, the old theater came close to being demolished, but fortunately was spared.
Since 2001, the Crump Theatre has been undergoing a restoration project, with the facade’s repairs completed by late-2001, it’s marquee lit up for the first time in many years during that year’s holiday season.
More information about the Crump Theatre can be found at the Heritage Fund Community Foundation (812) 376-7772
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.