No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Co-operative Hall, Kino, King Picture House
Located on Co-operative Street, which today does not exist due to re-development. The Co-operative Hall was built and opened in 1900. At that time, it was the main entertainment venue in Crewe, and presented variety performances and by 1909 also films. Seating was provided for 1,400, the stage was 18 feet deep, the proscenium 30 feet wide, and there were two dressing rooms.
In 1918 it was refurbished and re-named Kino. By 1934, it had been re-named King Picture House. The King Picture House was closed on 2nd April 1960 with Martine Carrol in “The Stowaways” and Vincent Price in “The Bat”.
A year later, it was taken over by the Leeds based Star Cinemas chain. After a 20,000 Pound refurbishment, it re-opened as the Ritz Cinema, with a reduced seating capacity of 727. Re-opening with James Robertson Justice & Leslie Phillips in “Raising the Wind” on 19th October 1961, with Leslie Phillips making a personal appearance.
The Ritz Cinema was closed on 28th August 1983 with Irene Cara in “Fame” and Olivia Newton John in “Xanadu”. It was demolished in a redevelopment of the entire area, the site of the former cinema is now a car park off West Street by the shopping mall.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.