890 Rue Sainte Catherine O,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Famous Players
Architects: Thomas White Lamb
Styles: French Renaissance
The Capitol Theatre opened on 2nd April 1921 for the Famous Players circuit. The opening programme had Cecil B. DeMilles motion picture “Forbidden Fruit” starring Agnes Ayers as the main attraction. It could originally seat over 2,600 (seating was somewhat reduced a couple decades later) and was one of the most grandiose and luxurious theatres ever built in Montréal. It was called "Canada’s Greatest Playhouse" in opening day newspaper advertisements.
A main feature of the auditorium was the elaborate coffered ceiling, together with giant Corinthian columns lining the walls. It was equipped with a Warren organ which had a 4 manual console and 28 ranks of pipes. An unusual feature was the organ pipes set into the alcoves above the box seats on the side-walls.
By the1950’s, it had become a roadshow house with long runs of blockbuster epics. For instance, "The Ten Commandments" ran for more than a year in 1956-57. Air conditioning was installed during this period of time.
The Capitol Theatre was closed and later razed in 1973, to make way for an office building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.