28 Boulevard des Capucines,
1 person favorited this theater
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Montagnes Russes, Cine-Olympia
Located close to the Paris Opera House. Originally opened in 1889 as the Montagnes Russes, a cabaret room operated by Joseph Oller, the owner of the famous Moulin Rouge. It was re-named Olympia in 1893.
In 1928, it was converted into a full time cinema, given a lavish Art Deco style to the plans of architect Jean-Paul Mongeaud in association with architect Paul Farge who designed the facade. It opened as the Cine-Olympia with seating provided for 2,000. In 1930 it was equipped with a Cavaille-Coll 2Manual 11Ranks theatre organ, and Gilbert George and Leo Stin were two organists who played the instrument. Cinema use continued until 1944, when it converted back to music hall use. Edith Piaf gave many performances at the Olympia from January 1955 until October 1962.
Today, it is in use as a concert venue, featuring top name stars from around the world.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.