5404 N. Clark Street,
9 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Ascher Brothers Inc.
Architects: George H. Borst
News About This Theater
- Jul 23, 2007 — Chicago Theatre information help
Opened November 20, 1915 for the Ascher Brothers circuit, the Calo Theatre, which originally seated 1,000, is located in Chicago’s Andersonville neighborhood on Clark Street near Balmoral Avenue. By 1964 it had been converted into a bowling alley. It was originally equipped with a 2 manual theatre pipe organ.
In the early-1990’s, the historic Calo Theatre, with its elaborate white terra-cotta façade, became the home of the Griffin Theatre Company, which put almost $100,000 into renovating and restoring the former movie house into a legitimate theatre, the seating decreased to just 135 in its main auditorium.
In the summer of 2004, the Griffin Theatre Company left the Calo Theatre due to rising upkeep and renovation costs, in search of a new home elsewhere in the city.
The Calo Theatre was acquired by Brian Posen in 2005, with the intention of converting the theatre into a three-auditorium venue for local theatre groups to rent, much like Lakeview’s Theatre Building, however, those plans never came to fruition. Instead, the Calo Theatre was reopened as a resale shop.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.