F.M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts
71 Public Square,
2 people favorited this theater
F.M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts (Official)
Architects: Charles A. Ryan
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: New Comerford Theatre, Paramount Theatre
A perfect example of an Art Deco style theatre, it opened as the New Comerford Theatre on August 18, 1938, with a seating capacity of 2,047. Built as the flagship theatre for the Michael Comerford chain.
By 1943, it was operated by Paramount Pictures Inc, through their subsidiary Frank Walker. Later renamed the Paramount Theatre after the 1949 anti-trust suits, it continued showing movies until 1977. Suffered a major flood with 14 feet of water in 1972. Susequent renovations stripped out the ornate lobby and many fixtures were sold.
It closed in the early-1980’s and was facing demolition, when in 1986 S.T.O,P. was able to get the building listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The building was subsequently restored and reopened as the Kirby Center for the Performing Arts.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.