59 Warrigal Road,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Hoyts Theatres
Styles: Art Deco
Located in the south-east Melbourne district of Oakleigh. The Paramount Theatre was opened on 19th June 1922 with a triple-bill programme; “The House Without Children”, “The Barnstormers” and “Comrades”. Seating was provided for 1,019 in the stalls and 387 in the circle.
In May 1931 it was taken over by Hoyts Theatres, but they only operated it until November 1932. It was closed for alterations and the installation of a Western Electric(WE) sound system, and re-opened on 12th November 1932. Further remodelling was carried out in 1948. In April 1955 it was equipped to screen VistaVision and CinemaScope films, and Richard Burton in “The Robe” was the first CinemaScope film to be shown at the Paramount Theatre. It was closed in 1971.
The auditorium was gutted by a fire on 10th May 1979 when the building was hit by lightning. It was rebuilt as a twin screen cinema, which was planned for 582 seats on the ground floor and 300 seats upstairs, but it never reopened. It stood empty and boarded up for many years.
The building is located on the other-side of a fly-over road from the main shopping centre of Oakleigh, so it seems rather isolated. In 2010, the building was in use as offices for a social welfare department. By 2014 they had vacated the building and it was set for demolition. It was demolished in June/July 2015.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.