Hoyts Carnegie Theatre
18-22 Woorayl Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Hoyts Theatres
Previous Names: Carnegie Theatre
Located in the south-east Melbourne suburb of Carnegie. The Carnegie Theatre was opened on 24th November 1920 and was operated by the Carnegie Picture Theatre Co. P/L. From as early as 1924 the programming was controlled by Associated Theatres P/L headed by Gerge Tallis & Frank Thring senior. In 1926 this arrangement was continued when Associated Theatres merged to become Hoyts Theatres. Ltd.
In 1929 there was a worldwide economic downturn (known as the Great Depression), and for a few years the theatre supplemented film with the operation on an ice/roller skating rink, until being forced to close its doors. In 1935 Hoyts Theatres acquired the property and extensively re-furbished the theatre and installed sound equipment. The grand re-opening was on August 17, 1935 with a capacity audience of 900. Television arrived in the mid-1950’s and the theatre was forced to close in 1959. It was converted into office space and workshops.
Sadly the building was demolished around 2018 and a modern apartment building now stands on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.