63 Westow Hill,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Photodrome, Electra Theatre, Electric Theatre
Located in the south London district of Crystal Palace/Upper Norwood. Originally a swimming pool, the building was converted into a cinema in 1909, opening as the Photodrome, with the entrance on the side of the building on a narrow alley. The projection room was at the rear of the screen. It was re-named Electra Theatre in September 1909 after redecoration.
In 1912, a new entrance was formed out of a shop premises on the corner of Westow Hill and the alley, and there was now a long entrance hall to reach the auditorium.
It was re-named Electric Theatre in the 1920’s, and in the late-1920’s it was re-named Palladium Cinema. But it was unable to compete with newer purpose bult cinemas opening in the immediate area, and was closed in 1933. It was re-opened on 26th November 1935, but this was short lived and the Palladium Cinema finally closed in the Summer of 1936, still using its rear projection system.
In September 1937, it was re-opened by Mrs J. Arthur Rank as a Religious Film Society. Many years later it became a warehouse.
By 1986, the auditorium had become the Crystal Palace Snooker Club, using the alley entrance. The Westow Hill entrance had reverted back to retail use and also as a laundrette. It became a Budgens supermarket (today a Londis), but the auditorium has been demolished and housing built on the site in the early-2000’s.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.