14-16 High Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previous Names: Picturedrome
Located in the southeast London district of Penge at the corner of High Street and Oakfield Road, in the Borough of Bromley. The Penge Picturedrome was operating by April 1912 when it was offered ‘For Sale’ as a going concern, with possibilities for expansion into a 1,000-seat cinema. Built into an already existing building containing residential use on the upper floors, the ground floor entrance could have possibly been a conversion of a shop. There was originally a small tower feature to the right of the entrance (now removed). The auditorium was built at the rear of the premises, with tip-up seating provided on a single sloping floor. There was a 60 feet throw from the projection box to the screen, which measured 15 feet x 12 feet.
The expansion never happened and it continued to operate until closing in October 1914.
In July 2012, the entrance and rear part of the auditorium are in use as a Costcutter Supermarket, and the screen end of the auditorium is in use as a Topps Tiles shop, with its entrance on Oakfield Road.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.