72-78 Sydenham Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Granada Theatres Ltd.
Architects: A.C. Matthews
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: State Cinema
Located on Sydenham Road at the corner of Girton Road. The State Cinema was built for and designed by A.C. Matthews. It was opened on 1st August 1931. Seating was provided for 869 in the stalls and 648 in the circle. It was taken over by Excelsior Super Cinemas in October 1933, as part of the Medway Cinemas circuit.
In March 1949, they were taken over by the Granada Theatres Ltd. chain and it was re-named Granada from 3rd October 1949. The Granada usually played the Gaumont circuit release.
The Granada was closed on 3rd April 1971 with Anthony Hopkins in "When Eight Bells Toll" and William Shatner in "White Comanche".
The Granada was demolished later in 1971, and a Safeway Supermarket was built on the site. By 2008, it had become a Somerfield Supermarket.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.