142 Throckmorton Theatre

142 Throckmorton Avenue,
Mill Valley, CA 94941

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Showing 3 comments

DavidZornig on August 23, 2022 at 8:14 pm

Circa 1915 photo added credit Marin History Museum. Also additional confirmation of history in link below:


DavidZornig on January 23, 2022 at 10:45 am

Two photos added as Hub Theatre and Oddfellows Temple. Updated history credit Mill Valley Historical Society.

      "Built in 1915, this building was originally the Hub Theater, a venue for live vaudeville acts, silent films and even a live performance by Charlie Chaplin.  Musical accompaniment was in the capable hands of Hattie Thompson, at an electric organ.  Admission to the Saturday Matinee cost five cents, and included a Wild West serial in addition to the main feature.  The Hub Theater closed in 1929, when the Sequoia Theater up the street opened and showed “Talkies.”
                      During the years that followed the building saw a variety of uses, including as a bowling alley and as a skating rink.  In 1952 it was purchased by the Odd Fellows Temple, IOOF Lodge #399, and in 1976 the precursor to the Mill Valley Film Festival, “Saturday Nite Movies,” featured foreign films in the auditorium.  Over time however the building saw decreasing use and fell into disrepair.
                      Eventually purchased and officially opened in 2004 by Lucy Mercer, 142 Throckmorton is recognized as a multi-genre performing arts center with eclectic, high quality programming which attracts over 50,000 people to the nonprofit theatre each year. It has become a favorite venue among performers of all stripes for artistic experimentation and collaboration. 
                      The lobby of the theatre is often open in the afternoon, allowing visitors to explore the rotating exhibitions of original works of art featured in the gallery space.  Steve Coleman, the theatre's set and scenic designer, restored a very famous scene of Mount Tamalpais, painted by Jules Mersfelder in 1917.  This painting can now be viewed from the landing on the stairway up to the balcony, after having hung for many years at City Hall."
kencmcintyre on December 31, 2009 at 4:03 pm

In the caption, it should be Odd Fellows Lodge, not Old Fellows.