142 Throckmorton Theatre

142 Throckmorton Avenue,
Mill Valley, CA 94941

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Related Websites

142 Throckmorton Theatre (Official)

Additional Info

Functions: Community Arts Center, Dance, Movies (Film Festivals), Performing Arts

Previous Names: Hub Theater

Phone Numbers: Box Office: 415.383.9611
Manager: 415.383.9611

Nearby Theaters

142 Throckmorton Theatre

The Hub Theater opened in 1915 and showed silent movies and vaudeville. It was closed in 1929 when the Sequoia Theatre opened. It became a bowling alley and then a skating rink.

It was taken over by the Odd Fellows and used as a Lodge in 1952. While still in this use 1976 it was used for the Mill Valley Film Festival. Eventually the building was little used and fell into a state of disrepair.

It was saved in 2004, becoming a performing arts center. It now hosts the Mill Valley Film Festival.

Contributed by Dave Bonan

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on December 31, 2009 at 4:03 pm

In the caption, it should be Odd Fellows Lodge, not Old Fellows.
http://www.ioof.org/

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on January 23, 2022 at 10:45 am

Two photos added as Hub Theatre and Oddfellows Temple. Updated history credit Mill Valley Historical Society.

      "Built in 1915, this building was originally the Hub Theater, a venue for live vaudeville acts, silent films and even a live performance by Charlie Chaplin.  Musical accompaniment was in the capable hands of Hattie Thompson, at an electric organ.  Admission to the Saturday Matinee cost five cents, and included a Wild West serial in addition to the main feature.  The Hub Theater closed in 1929, when the Sequoia Theater up the street opened and showed “Talkies.”
                        During the years that followed the building saw a variety of uses, including as a bowling alley and as a skating rink.  In 1952 it was purchased by the Odd Fellows Temple, IOOF Lodge #399, and in 1976 the precursor to the Mill Valley Film Festival, “Saturday Nite Movies,” featured foreign films in the auditorium.  Over time however the building saw decreasing use and fell into disrepair.
                        Eventually purchased and officially opened in 2004 by Lucy Mercer, 142 Throckmorton is recognized as a multi-genre performing arts center with eclectic, high quality programming which attracts over 50,000 people to the nonprofit theatre each year. It has become a favorite venue among performers of all stripes for artistic experimentation and collaboration. 
                        The lobby of the theatre is often open in the afternoon, allowing visitors to explore the rotating exhibitions of original works of art featured in the gallery space.  Steve Coleman, the theatre's set and scenic designer, restored a very famous scene of Mount Tamalpais, painted by Jules Mersfelder in 1917.  This painting can now be viewed from the landing on the stairway up to the balcony, after having hung for many years at City Hall."
                  
You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.