No one has favorited this theater yet
Scott Cinemas (Official)
Operated by: Scott Cinemas
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Previous Names: Corn Exchange, Alexandra Theatre
Built as the Corn Exchange in 1871, it was converted into the Alexandra Theatre in around 1900. The proscenium was 26 feet wide, the stage 18 feet deep and there were three dressing rooms.
Early film shows were also held in the building. In 1927 a balcony was added and it became a full time cinema, seating was provided for 550.
Taken over by Charles Scott in 1960, it was twinned in May 1996 with 200 seats in the former stalls and 125 in the former circle. In 2003, newer seats were installed and the seating is now for 190 and 97.
The Alexandra Cinema is a Grade II Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 5 comments)
The neon sign at night in March 2008:
The Alexandra Theatre operating as a cinema in the 1970’s:
Sign by day in June 2008:
The Alexandra Cinema photographed in September 2007:
Exterior shot from 1991
Interior shot, same year
Another exterior shot:-
and a pre-sub-division interior:-
Scott ran the cinema until his death in 1986 after which it was run by Peter Hoare. In recent years Scott Cinemas merged with the Williams family’s WTW Cinemas taking the tally of sites to twelve. A refurbishment was carried out in 2012, to include installation of digital projection equipment, and the large screen has 3D capabilities.