Odeon Dundee
27 Cowgate,
Dundee,
DD1 2HS
No one has favorited this theater yet
Additional Info
Previously operated by: Gaumont-British Picture Corp., Ltd., Provincial Cinematograph Theatres Ltd., Rank Organisation
Architects: Frank Drummond Thomson, Henry Thomson
Functions: Nightclub
Styles: Baroque
Previous Names: Kings Theatre & Hippodrome, King's Theatre Cinema, Gaumont
Nearby Theaters
No theaters found within 30 miles
The Kings Theatre & Hippodrome opened on 15th March 1909. Designed by Dundee based architects Frank Thomson and his brother Henry Thomson. Designed in a mix of Baroque and Rococo styles, the auditorium had seating for 2,227 in stalls, dress circle and balcony with boxes on each side of the stage. There was a saucer domed ceiling which had painted frescoes and the proscenium was marble. It screened its first films on 2nd April 1909 as part of the programme. It was granted a Cinematograph Licence on 25th February 1910.
It was taken over by Provincial Cinematograph Theatres(PCT), opening as the King’s Theatre Cinema on 24th September 1928. A Wurlitzer 2Manual/6Rank organ was installed, with the console on a lift and the organ chambers using the former theatres boxes seating spaces. The seating capacity was reduced to 1,458 by closing the balcony seating area.
In February 1929 PCT were taken over by Gaumont British Theatres Ltd. It was re-named Gaumont from 8th May 1950.
In 1961, the interior of the Gaumont was entirely re-built. A suspended ceiling was insterted at balcony level and the side-walls and proscenium were covered over. Most of the original decoration was retained, but was now totally hidden from view. It was re-named Odeon after the closure of the former (now demolished) Vogue/Odeon in 1973. The Odeon closed on 24th October 1981 and the building was converted into a bingo club from May 1983.
Bingo use ended in the late-1990’s and the building became a nightclub, known as Deja-Vu, by 2017 re-named Joy.
On 30th June 1989, Historic Scotland designated the Odeon a Grade B Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 2 comments)
Three vintage photographs of the Gaumont:
In July 1949, playing the Gaumont release:
View link
Circa.1955:
View link
In December 1970, playing the Rank release:
View link
The Gaumont was Rank’s only city centre cinema in Dundee. During the fifties it played the Gaumont release while the usually superior Odeon release played at the Kinnaird. Playhouse and La Scala (the “Odeon Dundee” was a poorly located second run house). From 1959 when Rank reorganised its releases the Gaumont was designated the Rank release house, leaving the independents to pick up the inferior National release. It is somewhat surprising that Rank didn’t take the opportunity to re-name the Gaumont to Odeon after the six week closure for refurbishment in 1961. The Odeon could have reverted to its original name, which would have been perfectly well suited to its second run status.