Rose Theater

514 Avenue H,
Levelland, TX 79336

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Wallace Theaters

Architects: Harvey C. Allen, Howard C. Allen

Firms: Allen & Allen

Styles: Streamline Moderne

Nearby Theaters

Rose Theater (New Rose) ... Levelland Texas

The original Rose Theater in Levelland was a primitive 1930’s tin building with a false front added on to create the theater entrance and shelter for the ticket booth. It was closed and converted into an auto repair shop.

A second and "modern" Rose Theater was opened in October 1939. Designed by architectural firm Allen & Allen of Lamesa, TX.

Contributed by Don Lewis

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

Don Lewis
Don Lewis on January 28, 2008 at 10:55 pm

A 1930s photo of the “original” Rose in Levelland.

www.flickr.com/photos/lastpictureshow/2227850790

And a photo fo the “new” Rose in 1947.

www.flickr.com/photos/lastpictureshow/2227851296

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on September 27, 2015 at 8:32 am

This Rose Theatre launched in October of 1939 with 608 seats. Originally part of the Blankenship Theatre Circuit which was renamed the Wallace Theaters Corporation Circuit. Wallace B. Blankenship and his wife Rose began with the Wallace Theatre in Levelland in 1928. They opened their second theatre, the Rose thereafter and then this Rose in 1939. Wallace Theaters would go on to prominence before becoming the Hollywood Theaters Circuit which had 43 theaters when acquired by Regal in 2013.

driveinfan
driveinfan on July 5, 2018 at 9:02 am

The Rose Theatre location is now a parking lot.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on August 5, 2023 at 5:02 am

The original Levelland Wallace Theatre opened in 1925, and was renamed the Rose Theatre in 1928 when the new Wallace was opened across Avenue H, but with its entrance on Houston Street. When the new Rose was built, the old Rose became, rather unimaginatively, the Old Rose Theatre, which was still standing in 1948, according to an article in the August 28 issue of Boxoffice that year, commemorating Wallace Blankenship’s 25th anniversary as an exhibitor. His career had begun with the first Wallace Theatre in Ropesville, in July, 1923. (The Old Rose was still listed in the FDY at least as late as 1950. It should probably have its own page.)

The new Rose can be seen in the left background of at least one of the photos of the new Wallace Theatre which can be found on that house’s Cinema Treasures photo page. It’s address was most likely 512 or 514 Avenue H, as 516 is the address of the building just south of the parking lot where the Rose stood. The original Rose was next door. I’m not sure which direction, but most likely it was north, at 510 Avenue H. If so then it, too, is under the footprint of the parking lot that replaced the new Rose.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.