No one has favorited this theater yet
The Dundee Green’s Playhouse was built for and operated by the small independent George Green Ltd. circuit, which at its peak operated 24 cinemas. Green’s Playhouse in Dundee was the jewel of the circuit. It was slightly smaller than the 4,368 seat Green’s Playhouse(later Apollo), Glasgow. Both were designed by architect John Fairweather, and he was assisted at Dundee by Joseph Emberton who was responsible for the design of the 87 feet high tower over the entrance, the entrance vestibule and grand foyer and the tea room, which duplicated as a ballroom.
Seating in the auditorium was for 2,576 in the stalls and 1,456 in the circle with 10 boxes that could seat 100 patrons. The circle was entered at ground level, due to the lay of the land, with the stalls being below street level. There was a huge dome in the ceiling and Corinthian columns along the walls. Green’s Playhouse opened on 4th March 1936 with Joan Blondell in "We’re In The Money" and Alice Brady in "The Gay Lady". The proscenium was 65ft wide, the stage was 27ft deep.
Mecca Ltd. closed Green’s Playhouse as a cinema in January 1968 and it became a Mecca Bingo Club, although for a short while films were screened on every 3rd Sunday.
Sadly, the entire building (apart from the 87 feet tall tower) was destroyed by a massive fire which occurred on 26th August 1995. The fire was said to have been started by a carelessly discarded cigarette from one of the bingo players.
On 26th August 1988, Historic Scotland had designated Green’s Playhouse a Grade A Listed building. After the fire, the status was downgraded on 6th March 1998 to Grade B Listed for the tower only. A new purpose-built bingo club was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.