107 S. El Paso Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Interstate Theatres Inc. & Texas Consolidated Theaters Inc., Paramount Pictures Inc., Trans-Texas Theatres
Architects: Huss M. Beutell
Firms: Beutell & Hardie
Previous Names: Ellanay Theater, Capri Cinerama
News About This Theater
- Apr 1, 2009 — Remembering Cinerama (Part 25: El Paso)
The Ellanay Theater opened November 9, 1918. A Hope-Jones Wurlitzer theater pipe organ was installed. In 1927 a Reuter 3 manual 8 ranks organ was installed. By 1941 the Ellanay Theater was operated by Paramount Pictures Inc. through their subsidiary Hoblitzell & O'Donnell. In 1957 the Ellanay Theater was operated by the Trans-Texas Theatres chain. It was renamed Capri Theater on February 24, 1961 and on November 8, 1961 it was renamed Capri Cinerama, which lasted until January 1975 when it was taken over by Movie One Theatres and was showing movies until closure on March 26, 1983 with “Pink Flamingos”. The building was subsequently demolished in August 1983.
Photos show pressed tin patterns on walls, a later dropped ceiling and some ornate columns and decorative plaster, with many layers of white paint.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.