52 Church Street,
5 people favorited this theater
Architects: Joseph G. Gomersall
Firms: Drury & Gomersall
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Broadway Theatre
The Broadway Theatre was the largest luxury cine/variety theatre to be built in Eccles and was designed by architect Joseph Gomersall – one half of the pair of famous British cinema architects Drury & Gomersall. There was no expense spared for the Broadway Theatre which was built for the J.F. Emery Circuit at the cost of £70,000 a fair amount in 1932. It opened 30th July 1932 with a stage show and the film “Up For the Cup” starring Sydney Howard. It was equipped with a Christie 3Manual 7ranks theatre organ. There was a large restaurant and a car park which could accommodate 400-cars.
The theatre was principally used for movies but was capable of taking touring theatrical productions and accommodating local theatrical groups and variety acts.
Amongst the famous names that appeared on its stage was George Formby.
In 1935, the cinema changed ownership to the little known Mancunian circuit. It changed hands once more in 1936 and became part of Union Cinemas. The final cinema circuit to own the Broadway was the ABC group (Associated British Cinemas). It was renamed ABC in 1961.
The ABC closed on March 13th 1974 and the last two films shown were Bruce Lee in “The Big Boss” & Pamela Franklin in “And Soon the Darkness” (ironic).
The Broadway was sold to Kwik-Save Supermarkets in 1975. A false ceiling was built across the front stalls from the front of the circle.
It was demolished in 2001 to make way for an access road and carpark for the new Morrisons Supermarket.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.