6054 Maple Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Epstein's Theaters Corp.
Architects: Charles W. Rosenberry
Styles: Colonial Revival
Previous Names: Benalto Theatre
Located in Benson, to the north of Omaha, NE, (annexed by the City of Omaha in 1917). The original Benson Theatre opened in December 1911. It was located at 4835 Main Street. It was operated by George H. ‘Mac’ McArdell. It closed in 1920 at the end of its lease.
McArdell opened his new Benalto Theatre on September 6, 1920 with Wallace Read in “The Man From Funeral Range”. The new theatre was located on what was then 6th Street and Military Avenue. It was closed on May 29, 1926. It was remodeled to the plans of architect Charles W. Rosenberry in a Colonial style and increased the seating capacity to 700 and it was renamed Benson Theatre. The opening movie was Cecil B. DeMille’s “Silence”. On October 27 1929 it screened its first sound film “Showboat”. The Epstein Theatres chain took over and they installed news seats with a reduced seating capacity of 498 in 1946. In 1949 it was given a modern makeover. It was closed on January 25, 1953 with Leslie Caron in “Lili” & Glenn Ford in “Terror on a Train”.
It was remodeled into a retail store for Best Appliances & Television which opened later in 1953. By 2022 it was operating as a community arts theatre which included screening repertory films and film festivals.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.