116-118 Queen Street,
4 people favorited this theater
Firms: J.H. Phillips & Wride
Previous Names: Capitol Theatre
News About This Theater
- Mar 2, 2010 — Happy 45th, "The Sound Of Music"
The 3,158-seat Capitol Theatre was a great theatre which opened on 24th December 1921 with Hugh E. Wright in “Nothing Else Matters”. It had a 45ft wide proscenium and the stage was 10ft deep. There were five dressing rooms. was equipped with an organ manufactured by S. Dalladay of Hastings. Built for an independent operator, it was taken over by Paramount in 1931 (leased). The building also had a ballroom, three restaurants, a banqueting suite and a snooker room. In 1938 Paramount installed a Hammond Lafleur electronic organ. It is thought that the original organ was removed and broken up during World War II. It was taken over by Odeon Theatres in August 1941 (leased) and finally purchased by the Rank Organisation in April 1964.
The Capitol Cinema had many famous stars appear on its large stage, including Shirley Bassey, Tom Jones, Bill Haley & The Comets, Danny Kaye, The Bay City Rollers and on 7th November 1964, The Beatles.
Closed on 21st January 1978 with the X-rated double bill programme: Chai Lee in “Yellow Emmanuel” and “The Street Killers”. The Rank Organisation applied for a Bingo Club licence, but the city council refused. It was demolished in February 1983 and the 5-screen Capitol Odeon Cinemas were built on the site, opening in August 1991 (now Premiere Cinemas it has its own page on Cinema Treasures)
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.